Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Prayer For A Day

Though I know the rustling of the newspaper cannot be heard above
the crumbling of a bombed out street, I can let myself hope the
soothing strains of violins and woodwinds drifting across my
garden might carry over lines drawn in the sand, smooth them,
erase their every trace with peace.
On this bootless day in a garden where fuchsia reigns over
yellow cups and white bells of honeysuckle my thoughts may
turn to colors, bare feet in air-cooled grass, the soothing swing
of laundry on the line. Still I can hope for a cease fire amid the
rubble of towns and lives. The luxury of an idle day.
A moment's breath to remember the scent of roasting lamb,
the peppered sweetness of mango in curry.
The resonance of the Muezzin’s call to prayer –
Azan, the first call to a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment